Thursday, July 31, 2008

Rafting the Kasilof River

It's pretty warm when the sun is shining. The kids ran around without any pants for awhile.
I even dared dip my feet in... It was so cold it hurt.

Dad finally let TJ take a turn rowing...I'm not allowed to row because I got us stuck on some rocks last time and my husband had to patch the raft. Sad.
Oops, I almost lost my Faith.
Here fishy, fishy,fishy....
This one got away, it's hard when you're helping the kids. I just found out that the salmon don't bite when they're running. You actually have to use your hook to snag them when the swim by. Dip netting seems to make more sense all the time.

The girls tried hard to catch a fish too...hmmm perhaps we should buy them a pole...
The water is this stunning shade of blue. I asked my husband once if it was because it came from a glacier. He just laughed at me... If you're laughing too then you're a much more logical person than me. If you don't get why everyone else is laughing...welcome to my world.
It's been hard for me to admit that I think it's beautiful here. I feel like I'm being disloyal if I say something good about Alaska. Perhaps in a small way I'm afraid that I'll like it...and that we'll stay forever like so many others do.
Okay, here it goes...I really enjoyed rafting the Kasilof River today. It was stunningly beautiful, and more fun than rafting the green river back home. This was our best trip so far.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

The water looks so beautiful. the blue water and the glacier thing...... Yah. I TOTALLY agree with you. It makes sense to me!!!

Neene said...

Rachel, you are really doing a great job keeping us all up to date with all of your adventures. I agree with you, it would be hard to not find something to enjoy in Alaska.

I too thought about the water, then I laughed, I read it to Ken, he too laughed. This is one thing that always keeps us laughing with you Rachel. You do have a pretty good sense of humor. Every one looks great, how is Dad?
Love you lots, Love Neene