Monday, July 21, 2008

The Salmon are Running.

It's finally clear enough to see the mountains on the other side of the bay. Saturday July 19, 2008
I was mistaken before, when I thought there were fishermen lined up on the beach to dip net.
Now the fishermen are lined up to dip net. This is the beach where the Kenai River runs out into the ocean. People jammed in for miles on both sides. The vast majority are Alaskans, there to harvest the salmon.

Salmon caught in a dip net.
If you thought I was kidding when I said their were fish heads everywhere...

Eeeew! Watch your step. The fish carcasses are piled high. Even the seagulls have eaten their fill. Did you spot the halibut? Upper right hand side nose touching the waves. I've seen a lot of dead halibut carcasses too, but I don't know why. Some of them have been filleted, some have not.

No comments: