Saturday, January 3, 2009

Snorkeling, a Shoulder Dislocation, and a Sea Urchin...

We didn't have many sunny days on the Hilo side of the Island. We got up early and drove 2 hrs to get to Hapuna beach on the Kona side (which is the desert side of the island.) It was absolutely beautiful.
We brought some tag-a-longs from the Hilo side of the island. This cute little frog, and a giant cockroach that about scared Jen to death.
If you have sensitive eye's you may want to shut them and scroll past the next 2 photos.....Beware of the butt shot.
The black spots are sea urchin needles that are stuck in my butt. They're really brittle and break off, so you can't get them out. You just have to wait till your body dissolves them.
Of course the funny part is how they got there. Brent, Brant & I swam out and were snorkeling along the cliff side. I found this cool little coral arch that I could dive down and swim through. I thought Brant would enjoy it so I called him over. I calmed myself down, took 3 deep breathes in preparation to dive, made the appropriate wide overhead arching motion with my hands.... and my shoulder popped out of it's socket....it wasn't awesome. I thought Brant would be watching me, and I briefly considered swimming through the arch anyway. But gave in to the sheer agony and swam to the surface. Brant in the meantime had decided I must have been calling for Brent, and was swimming in the opposite direction. I climbed up on a piece of coral that was partially submerged, and began screaming desperately for Brent. Apparently it was an awful noise. He said the 1st time I screamed he thought I wanted to show him something. The 2nd time he thought I'd seen a shark. The 3rd time, he thought I was actually being attacked. Luckily he's brave and came over to help me anyway.

This wasn't Brent's 1st water rescue, but it was his first time putting a shoulder back into socket. He watched the Dr. in the ER the first time, pick up my arm and push it into place. So that's what he did. Unfortunately my shoulder had popped out the other way....so his 1st attempt was an agonizing failure. Completely unfazed he picked up my arm and pulled it the other way and moved it around a bit...blessedly it slid back into place.


Feeling much better, I stood up and realized my butt kind of hurt. So I reached down and pulled 3 long sea urchin needles out of my butt. Apparently a dislocated shoulder hurts worse than sea urchin needles, because I hadn't even noticed I was sitting on it. Brent pulled most of 2 more out. But they're very brittle. The life guard told us there was nothing we could do, just wait.

I'm proud to say that I was able to swim back after dislocating my shoulder and with sea urchin stuck in my butt. Of course it hurt, but the 1st time I dislocated my shoulder was much worse, so I still considered myself lucky. It actually still turned out to be an awesome day. We had a good time and spent the night in Kona.

I just wish I would have taken a few more pictures....not of my butt, of the beach! It was such a beautiful day! :)

1 comment:

Mowii said...

I miss Hawaii to!!!! I'm sorry about your but, and shoulder. I am glad Brent was brave enough to save you from the shark ;) I really am happy that you both got to go back! The sun is wonderful, sunburn not so much. Miss you both so much.