Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving in Alaska


I've been nervous about Thanksgiving, since I found out we were moving in February. I don't know how to cook a turkey! Luckily I was spared by our Friends the Chadwicks. They invited us and a host of other friends who are without family, to their home for Thanksgiving.

For me they were a lifesaver...not just because of the FABULOUS feast, that I never could have prepared myself. But because we were surrounded by people who acted like a family.
I won't pretend I didn't shed a few tears when I talked to Mom & Dad on the phone today. But when we were at the Chadwicks we had a ball! It was fun, and we felt loved...and that's something that I have to be Thankful for today.
I love the Missionaries! Today we had a killer game of Ultimate Dodge Ball at the gym before dinner. The Elders came wearing matching workout arm and headbands. And their awesome screen printed shirts...These guys are a BLAST! Poor little Faith suffered the wrath of Elder Call though...Poor baby caught a ball in the face that Brent was lucky enough to dodge. She flew backwards like in a cartoon, and she hit her head really hard. I was worried about her, because she could barely keep her eyes open afterward. And she acted like she wanted to go to sleep. Brother Chadwick asked the Elders to administer to her, and after the blessing she was just fine....Another thing to be Thankful for!

I'd like to add that I'm Thankful for my husband...he's such a good, faithful, and a valiant man. I'm thankful for my precious little children...I can't imagine life without them. I'm thankful for my family back home, who I miss so much. For the members of my ward, who have become my new family. And most of all, for my Heavenly Father, for His son Jesus Christ and his great Atonement. His gospel is the road map by which I live my life....without which I would be lost.
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

6 comments:

Chauntue Peterson said...

super cute pictures i love them i am so glad when you write i look forward to it.

Leacayoungart said...

It was fun. The Chadwick's are the best. It did feel like we were surrounded by family. Gotta love that.

Us Egberts said...

Rachel your family pics are beautiful....you little kidlins are so angelic....there sweet faces remind me of Aaron and Carlys little Collin....must be realated;] I am glad to hear that you had a great ThanksGiving!

Rod Eskelson said...

Your kids are getting so big we miss you guys

Rod Eskelson said...

Your kids are getting so big we miss you guys

The Bohans said...

I'm so glad you had a good Thanksgiving, sounds like you were surrounded by a great group of people. How blessed you are to have a "family" away from home. I think everyone needs a support system like that.
You know I LOVE the photos. Talk to you soon. We love and miss you!