Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Most Important Things in Life, Aren't Things...

This was the day that $8,000 almost washed out to sea. We took over the payment on my father-in-law's 4-wheeler, so he could move back to Vernal. So we had this fun (if pricey) new toy. Brent was riding it out on the beach one day. And was going about 35 mph when he hit a clay mud pit, and stuck. He sunk so fast he almost flew off the front...and he was stuck bad.
He called me and informed me we were probably going to loose the 4-wheeler. He was out too far for me to bring the truck and he had about an hour before the tide came in.
I told him to say a prayer, and I would do the same and try to find someone to help.
I resigned myself to loosing it, and decided I was just thankful that it was the 4 wheeler and not Brent that was stuck.
I knocked on many doors of random strangers in my neighborhood, trying to find someone with a 4-wheeler to help. I found lots of nice people, but no one had immediate access to a machine.
Brent secured the winch to a huge rock up the beach...but only succeeded in sliding the rock down the beach toward him.
Our bishop owns a repair shop, and I had his number in my cell phone because he had called to see if we wanted to go on a group date just that morning. As a last resort, and figuring it couldn't hurt...I called the bishop and asked if he knew anyone who had a 4-wheeler who might also be available to come help us out immediately.
Pause for a minute... One of the bishop's employees who NEVER brings his 4-wheeler to work just happened to have it at the shop that day...and he just happened to be in between jobs and able to get in the truck immediately and help us out.
Brent said they didn't have 5 minutes to spare when the man from the Bishop's shop arrived. Some nice lady in an off road machine had helped him pull it up out of the waves about a foot. So just the back tire was in the water and they were actually able to get it started and pull it out.
There were so many coincidences that helped us save it, that none of them could be considered coincidences at all. I know that a loving Heavenly Father hears and answers prayers, and that Bishop Ellis, and his employee and a stranger on the beach were his way of answering those prayers.
Let me express my thanks to Bishop Ellis, his employee, the stranger on the beach, also to my neighbors who were so kind and worried about our situation, and to my husband who had the courage to kneel when his problems were more than he could handle. But most importantly thanks to Heavenly Father for hearing and answering prayers, and for all of his tender mercies.

Tired, Dirty & Happy.

The 4-Wheeler and Brent both need washed off!

2 comments:

Chauntue Peterson said...

it's amazing what some people call couinsidences..... we call our prayers were answered.

Ramanda said...

I don't know if I am just a boob but this brought a tear to my eye! It is so humbling that the Lord knows are worries and stresses and he provides relief and assistance to us in our times of needs! What a blessing and what a post!!!