Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Hidden Lake Adventures...

Brent got home from work @ 7:30 A.m. and said... Let's go fishing!
It was a beautiful day. Only in the 50's here in Kenai, but up at Hidden Lake it was 71 degrees.We didn't think to bring the kids swim suits... they made due with life jackets and underpants. I don't know how they played in the water, it was painfully cold. They played in it for a really long time. They had such a good time!




You never would have guessed that Brent had been up all night. He was great with the kids, and fun to be around. We had a blast.
TJ didn't want to swim... He just wanted to take his pants off and fish. He tried so hard, but the fish just weren't biting.
Gracie tried and tried and tried to catch the little minnows swimming around her feet.
I don't know if this little guy died before or after she caught it... but she sure was excited when she caught a fish!
Yes, I let her keep it in a water bottle so she could show the McCormick kids tomorrow, then he's going down the drain.

We met a nice LDS couple from Anchorage. They told us the best time to fish is at dusk. (That's between 11:00 & 12:00 p.m. this time of year.) He said to go out and drop some leeches or eggs... I asked where to buy the leeches? At any bate shop in town. Then I asked if you boil the eggs or use them raw? ...He started laughing and told me to buy Salmon eggs and put them on a hook and drop them in the water.
OH!...that makes sense. I had a visual image of sitting out on the raft, cracking eggs and dropping leeches into the lake to chum the water or something... No wonder I never catch anything! ha ha

3 comments:

The Bohans said...

Looks like a great time, how come it's so warm there and not the rest of Alaska?

Us Egberts said...

I love looking at your blog/family...You are always so uplifting and have the cutest kids....How did you do the little collages for the kids? I really liked them

Anonymous said...

Do you guys have a boat? I did not know that.